Lots of people, about one million each year, do something really sad – they end their own lives. This is called suicide. Sometimes, people feel so much pain and sadness that they think dying is the only way to stop hurting. They might not ask for help, but that doesn’t mean they don’t need it.
When someone is really sad and doesn’t want to live anymore, it’s not because they want to die. They just want the pain to go away. Even though they might seem like they’re sure about ending their life, these feelings don’t last forever.
Most of the time, people who are thinking about suicide are not crazy or out of their minds. They might be really upset or unhappy, but that doesn’t mean they are crazy.
There are signs that someone might be thinking about suicide:
- They talk about it, like saying they wish they were never born.
- They try to get things that can hurt them, like pills or guns.
- They can’t stop thinking about death and write about it a lot.
- They don’t see any hope for the future and feel really trapped.
- They don’t like themselves and feel really guilty and sad.
- They start giving away their things or making plans for after they’re gone.
- They say goodbye in a way that makes you worry.
- They don’t want to be around people anymore and want to be left alone.
- They do things that are really risky, like using drugs or driving recklessly.
- They suddenly seem really calm and happy, which might mean they’ve made a decision.
If you think someone might be thinking about suicide, it’s important to talk to them about it. Even if it’s hard, you could help save their life. You can also help them by getting them professional help, like seeing a doctor or therapist. It’s also important to keep them safe and be there for them.
Remember, if you’re worried about someone, it’s better to ask them and get help, than to ignore the signs. You could make a big difference in their life.